Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Got sheep?

As I've written before, I've kicked up my scripture memorization habit a knotch this year. In doing so, I'm memorizing two scriptures each month along with thousands of other "Siestas" that follow the Living Proof Ministries Blog (Beth Moore). I can't tell you how much this has blessed me. Not only am I "hiding His Word in my heart", but God has allowed me to share these scriptures with others at the most providential times. I've allowed God to lead me directly to each scripture He's wanted me to memorize, and it's as if each scripture has been intentionally meant for me to share with another. The one that continues to pop up over and over is from the little known minor prophet, Habakkuk. Now, Habakkuk is usually not the book of the Bible that most people turn to when searching the Word for scripture verses to memorize like they might the Psalms, Proverbs, the Gospels, etc. However, there is a very powerful group of verses towards the end of the book that is especially now bringing comfort to many people in light of the current economic times we're living in...

"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior." (Habakkuk 3:17-18)

I love how Habakkuk made a choice in spite of the circumstances or perhaps because of the circumstances. Either way- Habakkuk chose to be joyful, to trust in God who saves. He knew that looking directly at the situation provided no hope, but looking above the situation to the One who provides hope is where joy can be found. It's in those times of uncertainty, times of struggle, times when we have "no sheep", times when we see clouds before sunshine...it's in those particular times, that intentionally looking to find joy in God alone can get us through each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment