Sunday, May 10, 2009
WOW! God is good! No...God is GREAT! You know - I don't brag on God enough. He is so awesome and amazing and so worthy to be praised ALL THE TIME and in ALL CIRCUMSTANCES! However, I usually don't invite God to my pity parties or to those times when life is simply status quo. So, when those times come again - and, I'm sure they will - I pray this post stands as a reminder to me that He is good all the time, and all the time He is good! Let me share the latest awesomeness of my Great God...
My brother, Derek, and his wife, Shawna, unsuccessfully tried to start a family on their own several years ago. Shawna and I have a similar infertility problem, so I have always shared in their pain (although, God blessed me 12 years ago with a beautiful daughter). Eventually, they began to look at adoption options. Costly and lengthy as they might be, they endeavored to begin that journey together. They've prayed, their church has prayed (Derek is a pastor), their family has prayed, their friends have prayed, and strangers have prayed! The prayers were lifted up, but God seemed to have a different timetable. Things changed a couple of weeks ago, however. Derek and Shawna learned that their adoption "profile" had been selected by a birthmom in Oklahoma - 7 hours away from their home in Kansas. Excitement and anxiety immediately took root within them. Could this really be the time? Are they finally going to be blessed to be parents? Well, they did the first thing and only thing they knew to do - began praying over every single thing associated with this adoption.
1. They prayed that the finances would be there. Being in another state, this was going to be much costlier than ever anticipated. GOD ANSWERED!
2. They prayed that the birthmom would continue to feel encouraged by her selection of them even via their first conference call. GOD ANSWERED!
3. They prayed that they would have the strength, know-how, and ability to put together a baby's room "on the fly" and that they would have all they needed to begin life with a newborn. GOD ANSWERED!
4. They prayed that the trip to Oklahoma and first meeting with the birthmom would go smoothly. GOD ANSWERED!
5. They prayed that they would be allowed to be there for the birth of the baby. GOD ANSWERED! (They even got to cut the cord.)
6. They prayed that the birthmom would still be willing to sign away her parental rights even after the baby was born, knowing that this is the best thing for her son. GOD ANSWERED!
7. They prayed that their baby would be born in perfect condition. GOD ANSWERED!
Derek and Shawna became the abundantly blessed parents of Jonah Gage on Wednesday, May 6 at 6:28 pm. They are in awe at how God has blessed them and has continued to bless them. There is still paperwork to be done, hurdles to cross, and much to be done before Jonah is "officially" named their son, but they have no reason to believe that this won't happen one day, because GOD ANSWERS!!!
While this may be all about my awesome God and my darling new nephew...I can't help on this particular Sunday in May, to say Happy Mother's Day Shawna! You and Derek will be amazing parents to precious Jonah. I will never stop praying for him! I consider it a privilege, and I now that GOD ANSWERS!