Friday, October 23, 2009

List #13

Some of you know that I've been making some pretty big changes in the way I eat, exercise, and just overall take care of myself. I've been battling my weight for quite awhile, and the battle wages on, but the victory is around the corner! However, in studying up on nutrition, in general, I've really begun a quest to try and get myself healthier. In other words, it's not just about the weight loss anymore. Even if I were already a skinny-mini, I would still employ many of these same things, because they simply make me a healthier woman. People often ask me what kind of diet I'm on, or what am I doing to lose weight. My "diet" or new healthy way of eating is a mix of different things. I've done so much research and have been on almost every diet imaginable that it's really a blend of many programs and much study. I also have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), which confounds problems by creating a pattern of insulin resistance in my body. I say all that to say - carbs are NOT my friends right now. So, for this week's Friday list, I thought I would share ten things that I'm doing along this healthy life journey that I'm on. I'd love new ideas from you if you have any you'd like to pass along. Or - maybe you have a success story to share. Feel free to comment or email me (see my profile page)...I'd love to hear from you!

10 New Things I am Doing to Incorporate a Healthier Lifestyle:
1. Lowering my carb intake to no more than 60-80 mg a day.
2. Eating almonds, blueberries, flaxseed oil, and olive oil daily - all very high in antioxidants and regulating insulin levels (no I’m not diabetic but struggle with insulin resistance)!
3. Paring protein and carbs together. I don’t just eat empty carbs - I put protein with it.
4. Eating 3 smaller meals and 2-3 healthy snacks daily.
5. Eating NO refined sugar - only natural sugars.
6. Using Stevia as a healthy, natural sweetener rather than Splenda, Sweet ‘n Low, and Equal.
7. Taking a multi-vitamin each day.
8. Avoiding potatoes, rice, crackers, bread, and other heavy starches.
9. Getting more sleep.
10. Getting exercise. This is actually limited right now due to a foot and ankle injury, but I’ll be up and at it again very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment