Saturday, December 19, 2009

Best laid plans...

I had it all planned out. We would leave Friday after my husband got home from work and daughter finished her last day of school before Christmas break. I would have the bags packed, the presents wrapped, the goodies ready to take, and the vehicle gassed with the oil changed. We knew snow was coming, but we would make it out of town headed down the mountain to visit some friends for an early Christmas. My husband would get up Saturday morning and enjoy one last hunting trip in search of Bambi's mother or father. We'd exchange gifts and laughs with friends and enjoy the fellowship and then head home Saturday evening. Sunday would allow an opportunity to participate in worship at church followed by an afternoon of football, football, and more football (and a few naps in between). But you know what? My plans were squashed.

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." (Proverbs 19:21 NIV)

So, what did the Lord purpose? He allowed us to experience a beautiful 10-inch snowfall that arrived much earlier than we originally anticipated. My husband did make it home from work, but he had to walk the last half mile when the snow was too thick to maneuver with his vehicle. Growing up in the mountains of NC, I saw several of these snows in my childhood, but they've been pretty puny in recent years. So, I was very excited to see the snow pile up until I realized that we wouldn't be going on our much anticipated trip. Then, I started to fear that we may lose power, because the lights flickered a LOT, and I kept seeing reports from friends of their power outtages. I did the only thing I knew to do - ask my husband to load up the firewood and PRAY!!!

So what did the Lord purpose? We would wake up Saturday morning to a house still warm and lights still operating (even though 60,000 others in the area are without), and I quietly sung the Doxology in my mind giving praise to God for His goodness. My husband began shoveling out the driveway, and my uncle (our neighbor) arrived to help in no time. Then...the two of them proceeded to shovel pathways for some of the neighbors in need of help. Next on their agenda? Successfully bringing my husband's vehicle home and pulling a neighbor's car out of a ditch...a neighbor we did not know prior to this snow.

So what did the Lord purpose? That rather than traveling, we'd spend the day sleeping late and catching up on much needed rest, helping neighbors and meeting some for the first time, watching my husband and daughter build the biggest snowman that either had ever made, making a big pot of chili to warm our bellies with after all the snow activities, gathering snow to make snow cream and then experiencing brain freezes as we ate it, making more Christmas goodies to munch on, and relaxing by the fire in the evening.

No - this wasn't our plan, but it was the Lord's purpose, and it was good!

Our trip will still happen, but God had different plans today. His ways are always better and always serve His purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment