Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Is it Really Sacrifice if it Costs You Nothing?

I love Christmas! I really do. No, not the emphasis on gifts, but the emphasis on THE GIFT that was given to us in the form of a baby around 2000 years ago. Because of that, I love to participate in things or attend events that focus on that element of CHRISTmas.

My husband, daughter, and I are all participating in our the annual Christmas program that our church puts on each year. I've done it once before, but it's been several years. And...truth be told...I forgot how hard it is. This is not just some simple Christmas program. It's one that has a cast and crew of around 800, takes months and months of planning, lots of rehearsal, and then will take place over 8 performances. Tonight was dress rehearsal, and going into it - I was worn out. I've actually picked up a little bug that I've been fighting too. So, between being tired and being sick - I really didn't want to be there. I actually started questioning why I signed up for this in the first place and quietly scolded myself for always biting off more than I can chew. The program has two parts - one that is primarily secular and one that is biblical. I'm in the secular segment and haven't really stayed around for many of the biblical rehearsals, because I didn't have to. But, tonight...I stayed and watched the whole thing! I was moved - yet again - by the simple, but very profound message of CHRISTmas.

I was ashamed of myself for allowing thoughts of dread and regret to fill my head. So what if takes a little sacrifice on my part? It's worth it if even one person that comes to see the program is changed by that message! Sacrifice...that brought a familiar passage to mind:

"But the king replied to Araunah, 'No, I insist on paying you for it. I will not sacrifice to the LORD my God burnt offerings that cost me nothing.' So David bought the threshing floor and the oxen and paid fifty shekels of silver for them." 2 Samuel 24:24

Sacrifice. Is it really considered sacrifice if it costs you nothing? Maybe this week might cost me a little sleep and might cause me to fill a little run down. But, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. In the grand scheme of things - it's nothing in comparison to THE sacrifice that God made for us in the gift of that little baby over 2000 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment