Monday, December 21, 2009

I Want Deer Feet!

We have plenty of deer talk around our house this time of year. My deer-hunting husband stays giddy from the start of deer season until it sadly comes to an end for him. Shockingly, I find I'm rather interested in the subject matter myself. Not only do I enjoy eating venison, but I love pretending I'm a pioneer woman. I know - I need to get out of my dreamland and come back to reality. But, honestly, I've always thought it would be so "cool" to have lived back in the days of the wild frontier - where families spent time traipsing across the country in search of homeland. Houses would be built from the ground up with everyone chipping in time, labor, and materials. Women would labor all day over the stove preparing whatever their men would bring home from that day's hunting efforts. Life was hard work back then - really hard work - but so much simpler. Okay...I'm done daydreaming - back to reality and back to deer. After watching so many Versus Country episodes with my hubby on the tube, I've found that I've learned quite a few interesting facts about deer. But, one thing I've known all along is that deer can run - FAST! Their feet are hoofed, which gives them this ability to be swift.

In my personal quiet time this morning, I read a verse in the Biblical book of Habakkuk that I've read many times before, but it really caught my eye this morning.

Habakkuk 3:19 (NIV)
"The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights."


I especially love the Amplified Version of this same verse:

"The Lord God is my Strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hinds' feet and will make me to walk (not to stand still in terror, but to walk) and make (spiritual) progress upon my high places (of trouble, suffering, or responsibility)!"


I think it was the line "he makes my feet like the feet of a deer" that got my attention, because I knew that deer had swift feet. So, I went to my commentary next to see what was said about this one verse. Bear with me just a minute to share some of that with you:

"He that is the God of our salvation in another world will be our strength in this world, to carry us on in our journey thither, and help us over the difficulties and oppositions we meet with in our way. Even when provisions are cut off, to make it appear that man lives not by bread alone, we may have the want of bread supplied by the graces and comforts of God's Spirit and with the supplies of them. (1) We shall be strong for our spiritual warfare and work: The Lord God is my strength, the strength of my heart. (2) We shall be swift for our spiritual race: He will make my feet like hinds' feet, that with enlargement of heart I may run the way of his commands and outrun my troubles. (3) We shall be successful in our spiritual enterprises: He will make me to walk upon my high places; that is, I shall gain my point, shall be restored unto my own land, and tread upon the high places of the enemy."

Friends...I don't know about you, but that verse encouraged me today! Recently, I have felt so burdened over the not-so-fun news that I keep hearing from family, friends, and even strangers that have kept rug burns on my knees from constant prayer. Within the last year, I have had a personal connection in some way, shape, or form with people that have experienced miscarriage, death of a marriage, death of a child, cancer, child abuse, job loss, infertility, flooded home, extreme illness, Swine Flu, and family betrayal. I am so weary at this point, and just when I think I can't possible learn of more - someone else calls or emails their story and asks for prayer.
So, when I came upon this verse in the small book of Habakkuk this morning, I took the time to study it further. Granted, the deer feet part got my attention, but God had to use something to lure me in further. It worked! I felt such sweet assurance at the end of time with him this morning, because I know that He is...

(1) making me Spiritually strong,
(2) making me Spiritually swift (thanks to those deer feet), and
(3) making me Spiritually successful.

So, faint not, run swift, and give God glory for your successes. And...don't stop praying!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment