Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Chris' Last Weekend - Guest Blog Post from His Stepdaughter

Happy Tuesday blog friends!

I have a treat for you today. I asked my daughter, Anna, if she would consider writing a guest post during this 40-day blogging journey. She was hesitant, at first, because she didn't really know what to write about.

I said, "Write about whatever you want. Maybe something about Chris and your time together."

"I've got it!" she shared excitedly. "I'll write about his last weekend. The one he spent with me."

And, without further ado...here's Anna...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Many of you might be wondering what went down on the last weekend Chris was alive. Well I can tell you, because I spent it with him. Just him and me. Not my mom. Just him and me.  

I had a lot of fun with him that weekend. I never would have expected what would come 3 days from that Sunday. I always enjoyed the times with him when my mom went on a trip (whether it be to Africa, a work trip, or a conference). I always missed my mom, but he always made it more fun even though she was not there.  

On this particular weekend, my mom and aunt were going to a conference together. So I stayed home with Chris. Now this weekend was very different. First of all, it was Friday, April 29th…..the day of the Royal Wedding!!!!!! My aunt and I decided that we would get up at 4am to watch it (and I would at least watch as much as I could before I went to school). Chris came out to eat breakfast before work and didn’t think we were serious about getting up. Now, Aunt Kandi and I have turned into huge Royal Wedding fanatics. We even have the DVD and collectors’ magazines. Since I wasn’t able to see their first kiss, my aunt even took a picture of it from the TV with her phone and sent me a text picture of it while I was at school.  

She and my mom left to go to the conference while I was at school. So I rode the bus home, and Chris got there shortly after. We decided we wanted to go to Ruby Tuesday's for dinner. Now everyone knows Chris was the baking master, so I asked if we could make cookies with icing.  

His response was simply, “Call your mom and ask.”  

So I did and she said, “Why not!”  

We went to the store and got all the ingredients. I love cooking or baking (especially with Chris), so this was lots of fun!  

Now Chris always liked to go to bed early, but I didn’t want to be the only one up so I would too. The following day we ate our cookies, and I watched the royal wedding over and over, which he did not appreciate too much. J
Chris and I would always play games, and so that’s exactly what we did. Battleship, Rummy, Yahtzee, everything…we played everything. He took an hour nap that day, and then we played more games and ate more cookies! That was the best weekend I had ever had with him!  

I now know God sent my mom and aunt to that conference to give me this special weekend with Chris that I will never forget. Nobody else shared that last weekend with him. Only me! We won’t know until we get to heaven why Chris committed suicide.  

My favorite Bible verse reminds me that God is still in control and has great plans for us.  

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad I read this this morning before I put on my makeup,'cause it would be runnin' down my face right now. Anna, you are the sweetest & I'm so happy you had that very special time with Chris! I'm also thankful that you know our Lord, who helps us get through these hard times. You are so blessed! :~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, thank you for sharing your heart. I can tell that those memories are precious to you. And you write well, so I hope you keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet...and I totally agree...love you...my sweet niece...Aunt Kandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending big hugs Anna! What a wonderful memory weekend! Thank you for sharing with us. Give your mom a hug for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. anna,im glad you got your weekend with chris,i think we all got to have our own time with him im also thankful for. i hope you won some of the games yall played i know how competitive he was an if he wasnt winning most time he was not playing,if you won i can here him say (i let you win that one)love you anna you are a great young lady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna, what wonderful memories you have of your time with Chris! He sounds like a wonderful husband, father, and friend.

    It's evident to me that you both loved each other very, very much. I'm so glad you have such wonderful memories of your time together!

    Blessings to you and your sweet mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anna,
    Oh, my goodness...I just reread my post. Do you think I used "wonderful" enough?! LOL! Please feel free to substitute the words "great", "amazing", "awesome" wherever necessary!

    It's tough to come up with adequate words to describe a man who was so dedicated and loving to his family and friends. I know that Chris had a powerful impact in your life and your mom's, and that you will always carry a part of him in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet Anna...I'm so thankful God gave you that weekend with Chris. You are so much like your momma...so full of faith that God has your best in mind. Believe it girlie, cuz it's true! :)

    Love LeeBird from AZ :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my heart; what a beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing your special time with your special Chris. Praise God for your faith even at such a young age!

    ReplyDelete