Tuesday, January 25, 2011

He Cried All the More!

I know what some are thinking...how long will this weight loss effort last? when will she quit and go back to the status quo of unhealthy eating, no exercise, too many soft drinks, loads of sugar? I can almost hear the whispers, because...honestly...they are the whispers of my own heart. If you've followed any of my blog posts this year, you know I'm on a new journey of weight loss, as I make my way through Lysa TerKeurst's newest book, Made to Crave. In all honesty, God began working on my heart this past December, before I read even one page of the book. However, reading the words that God gave to Lysa has only solidified the truths that He was speaking to me...it just made those jumbled up thoughts of mine a little clearer. So, why is this time different? Why did I so boldly proclaim earlier this month that I'm more confident than ever that this GIANT in my life WILL BE DEFEATED this year? I'll tell you why, but I have to share a story about a man named Bartimaeus. A friend of mine pointed out something so profound to me from this story that I'd never really noticed before, and I've actually camped out there for a couple of months. Let me share "Bart's" story with you...

"And they came to Jericho. And as He was going out from Jericho with His disciples and a great multitude, a blind beggar named Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, was sitting by the road.

And when he heard that it was Jesus the Nazarene, he began to cry out and say, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"

And many were sternly telling him to be quiet, but he kept crying out all the more, "Son of David, have mercy on me!"

And Jesus stopped and said, "Call him here." And they called the blind man, saying to him, "Take courage, arise! He is calling for you."

And casting aside his cloak, he jumped up and came to Jesus.

And answering him, Jesus said, "What do you want Me to do for you?" And the blind man said to Him "Rabboni, I want to regain my sight?"

And Jesus said to him, "Go your way; your faith has made you well." And immediately he regained his sight and began following him on the road.


I certainly understand my new friend Bartimaeus. I, too, want healing so badly. I want to be free from the grip of food on my life and all the other issues that it causes. I want to be healed from the wrong thinking and behaving that I've embraced for years, and I want this to be a permanent freedom...a permanent healing that can only come through Christ.

My friend, that I referenced earlier, showed me something profound in verse 48 just a few months ago. Bartimaeus didn't let the stern warnings of the crowd stop him, he didn't allow the "shhhhs" to send him back into defeat. It said, "he kept crying out all the more"! The Greek word here for crying (krazo) means the same thing as scream, shriek, croak (like a raven). He screamed above the crowd. But Jesus heard him, and Jesus healed him, and Jesus honored his faith.

Friends...I haven't been "shushed" by the crowds or told to be quiet by friends and family. It's been my own thoughts. It's been my own doubts. It's been my own shortcomings. But, this time...I cried all the more. I screamed. I shrieked. I may have even croaked like a raven.

I know Jesus hears me. I know Jesus is healing me. And...one day...I pray to hear, "Go my sister, your faith has made you well."

No comments:

Post a Comment