Monday, January 31, 2011

The Silversmith

I want to share a story with you before going any further.

Refiner's Fire

There was a group of women in a Bible Study on the book of Malachi. As they were studying chapter three, they came across verse three which says: "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver."

This verse puzzled the women and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of God.

One of the women offered to find out about the process of refining silver and get back to the group at their next Bible study. That week this woman called up a silversmith and made an appointment to watch him at work. She didn't mention anything about the reason for her interest or her curiosity about the process of refining silver. As she watched the silversmith, he held a piece of silver over the fire and let it heat up. He explained that in refining silver, one needed to hold the silver in the middle of the fire where the flames were hottest as to burn away all the impurities.

The woman thought about God holding us in such a hot spot- then she thought again about the verse, that he sits as a refiner and purifier of silver. She asked the silversmith if it was true that he had to sit there in front of the fire the whole time the silver was being refined. The man answered "yes," he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eye on the silver the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left even a moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed.

The woman was silent for a moment. Then she asked the silversmith, "How do you know when the silver is fully refined?" He smiled at her and answered, "Oh that's easy. When I see my image in it."

If today you are feeling the heat of this world's fire, just remember that God has his eyes on you.

--Author Unknown


May I be a bit transparent with you today? I believe I've been going through the refiner's fire for about 8 weeks now. I actually prayed for THIS VERY THING to take place back at the beginning of December. Sounds crazy...I know. But, I'm desperate for God to move in me. I'm desperate for God to clean me up. I'm desperate to know Him more. In order for any of this to take place, I knew I had to be refined. At first, I didn't really notice any changes taking place. But then...little by little...the refinement began. Friends, the fire has been VERY hot lately. Sometimes...I feel as if I'm literally going to burn up (so to speak). But, I really do want this. Through tears, I can honestly say I want this. I'm so tired. I'm almost at the point where I'm at the end of me. And you know what...that's EXACTLY where He wants me. He works best in me when I move out of the way.

How about you?

3 comments:

  1. I shared with a friend yesterday that God had been doing so much in me, but I was kind of praying for a day off from refining bcs I am TI-RED! Why is submitting so exhausting? Probably bcs I'm out of practice.

    BUT so grateful for God's refining process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if that isn't the most precious thing I've read in a long time, Leah. Awesome and so tender. The story is great, and very insightful, but your note at the end is so touching. I am praying for you as I feel we have been through that fire last year. Not easy...but oh, so worth it. I still have more refining, but it's a process. God knows how much He can do at each step. He is so good.

    Love you girl.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing is this? ""How do you know when the silver is fully refined?" He smiled at her and answered, "Oh that's easy. When I see my image in it."" I have heard about refining silver in the Bible but I have not heard about what really happens during the actual process. I'm so thankful God watches us as the silversmith. Thank you for sharing and being open with us. God bless!

    ReplyDelete