Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I Was Made for More Than This!

I shared the other day that I was thrilled to be participating with a group of gals in a 21-day journey following Lysa TerKeurst's new book, Made to Crave. Part of the journey involves reading and commenting on some daily devotions relating to the principles she teaches in the book. Today's topic was an extremely sensitive topic for me, because I've had to learn it first-hand, the hard way. It's a topic that I actually speak on at women's events. And...it's a topic that part of me still needs to be reminded of every now and then. Allow me to share a snippet of today's devotion with you...

"We were made for more! More than this failure … more than this cycle … more than being ruled by our taste buds, body image, rationalizations, and guilt. We were made for victory. Sometimes we just have to find our way to that truth."

For me...I KNOW...I really KNOW that I'm made for more than "this". I'm made for more than mediocrity...made for more than settling with where I'm at on my health journey...made for more than the shame I feel every time I emotionally eat...made for more than failure at diets...made for more than feeling disgust each time I step on the scale. Yes - I'm made for more than this. So, why don't I live that way sometimes? Simply put...I'm putting more stock in my own negative thoughts than in the truth of God's Word. I'm allowing past regrets to dictate my todays and possibly my tomorrows. So, how do we stop that vicious cycle?

Abide in the truth of God's word. Your mind must be transformed by it (Romans 12:2). Who does He say you are...not who do you say you are? Friends...God's plans are not our plans, but his plans are not harmful...rather quite the opposite. In Jeremiah, we can know that God's plans are actually plans to give us a future and a HOPE! He has no plans of ever abandoning us. Romans 8 teaches that "we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us". That kind of hope screams..."YES, you were made for more than this!"

I went out on a limb...a limb of faith, so to speak...and posted on my blog last week that yes, I'm on a weight loss journey again. But...this time...it's really about so much more than the weight loss. Yes, I've shed some pounds, actually pretty significant pounds in just a few weeks. But, I'm not even going to share that total just yet, because God is doing a greater work in me than just trimming fat. He's trimming lies I've believed for years. My desire, my yearning, my craving for Him happens to be stronger than it's ever been. And...I think, actually I know, that this is one craving that He's happy to see me indulge in. As a result, He'll take care of the pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment